The Student News Site of Little Rock Christian Academy

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

‘Tis the Season for Volunteer Hours

Learn about new volunteer hour opportunities!
Phillip Byrd
Sunnie Woodard serves hot chocolate.

With Christmas right around the corner, volunteer opportunities have opened across Central Arkansas.

The Arkansas Learns Act, established in 2023, now requires high school students to complete 75 hours of community service in order to graduate. Little Rock Christian Academy took the initiative to require students to participate in 20 hours of volunteer work each year. This total will end with 80 hours over the course of four years. Service hours are to be logged in TrackItForward by May 1, 2024. 

Volunteering allows students to connect with their community and make a difference. The bible calls Christians to be helpful to others and do so with a servant heart. The season of giving is the perfect time to serve in your community. One way to get started is by signing up to be a bell ringer for the Salvation Army. Each year, the Salvation Army raises millions in funds for homeless shelters, rehabilitation centers, and more. Bell ringers stand outside various department stores to collect funds, rotating in shifts. This runs during the month of December and can be found at RegisterToRing.com. Another organization is the Arkansas Food Bank. Volunteers are needed year round to help sort and distribute, but especially during the holiday season. The food bank helps provide meals for families in need. Many churches, such as Fellowship Bible, have sent groups to the Arkansas Food Bank to package meals.

On January 25, 2024, The Arkansas Right to Life is holding an event called, “Bow Ties for Babies.” Volunteers are needed to serve food, pick up plates, and help run the event. Tim Tebow will be a guest speaker. If you are interested in volunteering with this event, contact Martha Boss at (501) 960-5051.

This story was originally published in the Warrior Times Volume 13 Issue 6.