The Student News Site of Little Rock Christian Academy

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

Warriors win back-to-back rings

See the details of the Warriors decisive win over Farmington in the 4A State Championship Game
Phillip Byrd
Sophomore J.J. Andrews slams home a dunk in the fourth quarter. Andrews was awarded the tournament’s Most Valuable Player Award.

From January to March, neither the Warriors or Farmington’s Cardinals lost a single game. The two have been unstoppable. But when two unstoppable forces collide, what happens?

That question was answered Thursday night when the Warriors won their second state championship, going back to back by a decisive 71-56 margin. Senior Landren Blocker had a message for his critics as he ran off the court following the final buzzer. “What’re they gonna say now?” he asked. The Warriors won every game in the playoffs by 10 points or more, earning the respect of all that doubted them.

Landren, a Louisiana Tech commit, finished the game with 21 points and 11 rebounds. “Everybody had their thoughts and opinions about who was going to win this game,” Landren said. Determined to silence the critics, Landren showed his talents late in the fourth quarter, putting the game away with a between-the-legs dunk.

Senior Jameel Wesley, who will be playing ball at Henderson State next year, shone all game with 14 points and 7 rebounds. However, it was sophomore Jashawn “J.J.” Andrews, a consensus 4-star guard, who took home the tournament’s MVP honors, finishing with 19 points and 8 rebounds. J.J. also celebrated his 16th birthday on the court, with the Warrior student section singing him “Happy Birthday” as he shot free throws in the third quarter.

The Warriors were not the only ones to shine, however. Layne Taylor, a senior for Farmington, scored 40 points for the Cardinals in their loss. Warrior Head Coach Kyle Pennington planned for Taylor. “Our game plan was that Layne’s probably going to get 40, and we’ll see if we can stop the other guys,” Coach Pennington said. They did just that, holding the rest of the Farmington team to just 16 points.

Coach Pennington had many heartfelt words for his seniors on the team. “All I can say is these seniors, they mean the world to me. I couldn’t be more proud,” Coach Pennington said.

The Warriors opened the game with a 10-0 run, forcing Farmington to take a timeout to halt their momentum. (Phillip Byrd)

This story was originally published in the Warrior Times, Volume 13 Issue 10.