The Student News Site of Little Rock Christian Academy

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

Ceramics Cultivates Hands-On Learning

Discover the details of one of Warrior Hall’s most popular electives!
Phillip Byrd
Senior Lainey Ridings shapes a pot in Ceramics III. Ceramics III is open only to seniors.

Ceramics, an eye-opening class for many who wish to explore their creative side and express themselves in a completely new way, is just one of the diverse arts offered in Warrior Hall. One of the most highly requested art classes, it introduces tenth through twelfth grade students to the world of 3D arts, allowing students to learn perseverance and craftsmanship.

Mrs. Simpson, the teacher of the class for 10 years, developed a love for the art as a young student. One of the things she said she loves most about the class is getting to know her students. “[The best thing] about teaching ceramics is really the relationships with the kids. We have enough downtime that we talk and get to know one another,” Mrs. Simpson said. “But it’s also introducing kids to something completely new.”

Throughout the semester, students have the opportunity to produce a variety of pottery. Beginning students make pinch pots and slab mugs. Among other things, students in Ceramics 3 make teapots and matching cups, while students in Ceramics 2 make lidded pots. Mrs. Simpson enjoys getting to see the different ideas and creativity that flow within the classroom and takes notice that the students enjoy the opportunity to unwind. “I think they like being in there and getting their hands dirty,” Mrs. Simpson said. “I think they enjoy making the projects, but really the relaxed atmosphere and time to kind of slow down [is what is most appealing].”

This story was originally published in the Warrior Times Volume 13, Issue 9.