The Student News Site of Little Rock Christian Academy

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

Church League Becomes Fan Favorite

Popular pastime allows for bonding, competitiveness, and fun
Anime Lovers, a team consisting of junior boys, poses with Ms. Babb

The start of the new year marks a favorite sports season: church league basketball. With different teams in every grade, students are able to compete, coach, or watch these entertaining tournaments on Tuesday and Sunday nights. The games are high energy, intense, and very competitive, and give students that don’t play in a varsity team their chance to shine. 

“It’s one of the most challenging learning experiences I’ve ever had. It really bonds you as a team,” said Emerson Ragsdill, a valued player on the senior girls ‘B Team.’ “The hard work, the blood, sweat, and tears–you just really get close to the team. It’s something we really take seriously,” she said. 

Church league teammates support each other on and off the court, and some have even been playing together for years. Many of the junior boys on Anime Lovers have spent a long time perfecting their skills. “I love my team, and we have great chemistry. We are amazing and undefeated,” said J Elrod, who plays for Anime Lovers. “We can all dunk and have all made a half court shot this season,” he said. 

Even if it’s too late to sign up, bringing friends to these games can be a great way to get connected in the fun and exciting atmosphere. Many students are spectators at church league games and consistently show up for their favorite teams. Sunnie Woodard is a big fan of the ‘B Team.’ “I really love the attitude that the girls display,” she said. “They are all in and it’s super fun to watch. They have great athleticism, and it’s really competitive.” 

Church league basketball creates an outlet for both players and spectators to have a competitive and social environment during a busy semester.

This story was originally published in Volume 12, Issue 8 of The Warrior Times.