The Student News Site of Little Rock Christian Academy

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

Dr. Smith to Become New Head of School

Former head of upper school to follow in Dr. Arnold’s footsteps
Dr. Justin Smith, Head of School at Little Rock Christian

After serving six years as the head of the upper school at LRCA, Dr. Justin Smith is set to become the new head of school, filling the shoes of Dr. Arnold. Starting in July, Dr. Arnold will be the President of the LRCA Foundation. When the LRCA Board of Trust began searching for a new head of school, they took notice of Dr. Smith’s proven leadership of the high school. Board of Trust Chair John McMorran said Dr. Smith is the perfect fit because he’s truly a “man of God” and is remarkably “sincere, called, committed, and grateful.”

Dr. Smith said that he has been mentored by Dr. Arnold for both growing in the job he has now, and to prepare him for a greater role. “For me, being mentored by Dr. Arnold was always with a longer view and further goal,” Dr. Smith said. “I always knew that I was called to be a head of school somewhere. My hope and prayer was that it would be here.” Since the decision to make Dr. Smith head of school, Dr. Arnold has been readily working to strengthen Dr. Smith’s leadership skills and help prepare him for his new role. “He always gives me leadership feedback and puts me in situations that help me grow and learn,” Dr. Smith said. “He truly is the best executive I’ve ever worked for.”

“The head of school carries many responsibilities, the utmost important ones being stewarding and caring for the mission of the school, vision casting, and managing people and culture,” Dr. Smith said. Dr. Smith, though, does not think this job will be a time for change to occur in the school. “We are not in a position where we have to build,” Dr. Smith said. “We are in a position where we have to serve better.” With this mindset, Dr. Smith wants to focus on improving discipleship, strengthening the golden triangle of school, home, and church, and staying true to our mission. “The goal is not to pivot from what our school is now,” Dr. Smith said, “but to be truer, better, and deeper.”

“The Lord had this for me,” Dr. Smith said. “I’m ready, I’m excited, and I’m prepared to learn through the process.” The Board of Trust ensures that the search for a new head of upper school is underway. The transition of roles will begin July 1, 2023.

This story was originally published in Volume 12, Issue 9 of The Warrior Times.