The Student News Site of Little Rock Christian Academy

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

The Warrior Times

Behind the Scenes: Quiz Bowl

Ever wondered about the lesser-known activities at LRCA? Wonder no more! Come read on the variety of opportunities LRCA has to offer!

At Little Rock Christian, extracurriculars are kind of a big deal.

While all extracurriculars are created equal, it is easy to be blinded by the “big” ones, such as football, basketball, volleyball and choir.

This is natural. There is no need to feel bad for not knowing about the lesser known activities, simply because they are just that: lesser known.

However, we at The Warrior Times want to change that.

Therefore, we will be rolling out a series known as “Behind the Scenes” to highlight the commonly undervalued extracurriculars that deserve recognition.

First up on this list is Quiz Bowl.

Quiz Bowl has a rich tradition at LRCA, with the team performing well in tournaments in recent years. Speaking on Quiz Bowl’s history, Coach Jennifer Byrd said, “Under Coach Danny Erlandson, we frequently placed in regional competitions, and the highest we placed in state competitions was 3rd in 2018. Since Mr. Erlandson’s retirement, the highest we’ve placed regionally is 1st.”

With a budding team of 22 students and counting, as compared to 9 students last year, Mrs. Byrd thinks that the team can compete regionally once again. “I’m hopeful that we will place first or second in the regional tournament,” she said. “This is our second year competing in 5A Central against schools much bigger,” she added, saying that some schools compete with as many as three senior high teams.

Mrs. Byrd said she also sees Quiz Bowl as an opportunity for LRCA students to glorify God. “Ultimately, Quiz Bowl allows our students to demonstrate how God has blessed them intellectually,” she said. “Our team has the opportunity to showcase Little Rock Christian not only as a Christ-centered education, but also as a well-rounded, scholarly education.”

Quiz Bowl not only includes questions on topics learned in the classroom, but rather covers a variety of subjects, evident by different players’ specialties. “Matthew Thompson excels in history and politics questions, while Sam Blocker is great at sports and pop culture related questions,”

The activity has had a resurgence in popularity this year, thanks in part to the efforts of the administration. “I’ve been very appreciative of the support that Dr. Davis and Sunshine Lee have given us in allowing me to recruit for the team,” Mrs. Byrd said, adding that she hopes that the school continues to support Quiz Bowl, not only as a club, but also as a competitive AAA activity.

Not only is Quiz Bowl growing in popularity amongst the students, but many faculty participated in the activity when they were in high school, including Dr. Davis himself and Assistant Coach Jessica Deaver. Both achieved All-State honors in the competition. Many teachers love the team, evidenced by their excitement to compete in scrimmages against them throughout the year. “I’ve already had a few faculty members approach me about another scrimmage this year,” Mrs. Byrd said, adding that she greatly appreciated the faculty’s zeal for the activity.

Signs around the school allow students to sign up for the activity. However, students can also join in on the fun by attending practices in Room 926 on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11:40.